Nyhavn means “New Harbor.” The harbor referred to is an extension that was dug out around 1670 to allow ships to sail in from the sea and unload directly at Kongens Nytorv. Today this canal houses a number of museum ships, as well as privately owned veteran wooden ships. The street along the water is lined with colorful townhouses from the 17th and 18th century, which currently house shops, restaurants, and bars. At the end of the street, where Nyhavn meets the main harbor, are two historically preserved warehouses, originally used by the East India Company, now functioning as a hotel. Don’t leave Copenhagen without getting a look at Nyhavn!